Tehillim (Psalms) 9:5

Tehillim (Psalms) 9:5



ADONAI is a stronghold for the oppressed,

a tower of strength in times of trouble.

Those who know your name put their trust in you,

for you have not abandoned those who seek you, ADONAI.

Friday, February 10, 2012

"Converting" Part 2

The house is quiet. It's 2:47 AM and I just finished putting all the ingredients in the crock pot for the "Family Heirloom Chulent," from Jamie Geller's site the Joy of Kosher. It will be ready for my Shabbat dinner.  It's the first time I make it and I'm hoping it's a keeper.

I think I need to add a few things I forgot to say yesterday on "converting."

I've been wondering if I'm the only one that has developed a love for all things Jewish since digging deeper into the Hebraic roots of my faith.  I love the liturgy.  I love the messianic worship songs.  I love hearing the Hebrew prayers.  I can go on and on.  

Late one night I found, The Messianic Jewish Simcha, The Jewish Conversion Process, approved in 2001 by the Messianic Bureau International. At last, here was something that spoke of my experience.  The paper presented by Rabbi David M. Hargis, the General Overseer, starts off like this:

"The Messianic Jewish Simcha (conversion) is a controversial subject among Messianic Jews. This is because we are careful not to do anything to confuse or conflict with the simcha/celebration we have obtained in knowing Messiah Yeshua our L_RD. Knowing Him is the highest and best form of Judaism in our estimation."  


No argument with that.  Here is the me part, 


"All Messianics, whether from Jewish heritage or not, are unified as one new creation of G-d through their faith in Messiah Yeshua. This takes care of the spiritual connection, but there remains the need for many Messianic non-Jews to obtain people-hood in the earth. People-hood provides culture, which comes from a shared heritage, history, trouble and glory. Many non-Jewish Messianics feel closer to the Jewish culture than say their Irish, African, Hispanic, etc. roots. That should not be a surprise, since the Messianic Jewish restoration naturally promotes that sensibility. It does this by connecting the Ancient G-d of the Jews with His prophetic and revelatory work happening today."

I have been connected with the "Ancient G-d of the Jews." I am an eye witness to His prophetic and revelatory work that is happening today. That explains why I feel more connected to the Jewish culture than my Hispanic roots.  I realized I'm not the only one that has experienced this bond, this connection. There have been others, and they have wanted to convert as much as I do.


The paper explains in more detail the reasons, validity, pitfalls, safeguards, and the process of conversion.  By going through this process I would in effect be declaring again my love for Yeshua and my identification with Him.  I would also be associating myself with the people of Israel. Actually the paper states, "Extent of Simcha: It must be clear with candidates that the conversion is basically an association with people-hood and is not a verification of spiritual stature of any kind."     


Yes, I am in the process of converting.  It isn't done overnight.  But each day I get closer.


Yes, I am in the process of converting and thrilled about it.   


You can read it for yourself here, messianicbureau.org/synagogue/conversion.htm.
 







No comments: