Tehillim (Psalms) 9:5

Tehillim (Psalms) 9:5



ADONAI is a stronghold for the oppressed,

a tower of strength in times of trouble.

Those who know your name put their trust in you,

for you have not abandoned those who seek you, ADONAI.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Inheritance

My dear friend, MH, reminded me of the importance of DNA when it comes to our inheritance.  She was not referring to property or possessions.  No, what she was referring to is something much more valuable. 

It also isn't the fascinating genetic qualities that define us.  Those common traits, characteristics, and conditions that we pass on in our DNA.  We know full well that we inherit physical characteristics from our parents--hair color, eye color, stature, to name some.  But are there other things?  Let me give you an example.  My beautiful  grand daughter (doting grandma) has never met my mother.  Yet, you would think that she has by the way she gestures and moves her hands.  Yep, exactly like my mother did.  Is there a gene for hand gestures? I'm not sure, but it sure seems that way.


Has that ever happened to you with one of your family members?  One that reminds you of another long past gone?

Now consider this.  For some of us, those of us that don't have the entire family kit in the tree, there are personality traits, and characteristics that seem so different, we often wonder how the people that have them are part of the family.  Quirky personality traits that keep you wondering. Where did that come from?  Yep, DNA. 

But our inheritance, our heritage is more than those genes that define us.  What legacy are we heirs to?  Are we heirs to a legacy of faith, family unity, and community or selfishness, lawlessness and illegitimacy?  Are there lessons to be learned when putting the pieces together?   I think so.

My family tree has missing persons in it.  Some of these missing persons, over one hundred years ago, chose to walk away and leave their children fatherless.  Were they ever men of honor?  If so, what became of their honor?

What were the vulnerabilities of the women that chose these men? Where was their faith?  Had their faith vanished along with their identity?  What happened over the years to the brothers and sisters who knew of one another?  Now even their names are a mystery. 

I can share a little of what I know about the growing science of geneology.  But I'll do that another time. 

I just wanted to share that quite often we are ignorant of the family history that precedes us.  Sometimes we uncover ugly things about our ancestors.  Despite how ugly the family history may be, it is the unraveling of it, the understanding of it, the bringing it to the light, the light of Messiah that redeems it.  I would have to say that ultimately, He is our inheritance.  And he has taught us to forgive.

Before I close, I just have one more thing to add.  Common law marriages have never been recognized in Puerto Rico.  They are not considered legal.  It is only in the past century that the children from these relationships have acquired rights to community property.  Prior to that they were at the mercy of the
whims of the adults.

No comments: