Tehillim (Psalms) 9:5

Tehillim (Psalms) 9:5



ADONAI is a stronghold for the oppressed,

a tower of strength in times of trouble.

Those who know your name put their trust in you,

for you have not abandoned those who seek you, ADONAI.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

What Becomes of the Brokenhearted

Some of you may remember the song, What Becomes of the Brokenhearted, originally released in 1966.  It speaks of love that is lost,  pain that is hard to bare, and the search to find love once more.  Here are a few lines that speak of darkness:

"I walk in shadows searching for light
Cold and alone, no comfort in sight
Hopin' and praying for someone who'll care
Always moving and going nowhere"

Not knowing any better, I remember as a teenager, identifying with the lyrics.  I'm so glad I'm not a teenager any longer --that I finally grew up.  It took a while. Yep, I was delayed by secular humanism.  You figure.

But, what has become of the brokenhearted?  I know there are some among us that keep that broken heart a secret.  The shadows of the past continue to impose a threatening dark presence.  The pain disguised very well.  The dark pressing shadows overcoming desires to engage, causing inertia and isolation.  Some drown in alcohol or stumble from drugs, while others self-medicate with calories.

I myself can name a handful of the brokenhearted, and to you I say. 

The darkness will turn.  Cry out and

Wait.

"I waited patiently for ADONAI,
till he turned toward me and heard my cry.
He brought me up from the roaring pit,
up from the muddy ooze,
and set my feet on a rock,
making my footing firm.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a song of praise to our God.
Many will look on in awe
and put their trust in ADONAI."
                    Tehillim (Psalm) 40


Then choose.

"Therefore, choose life, so that you will live, and your descendants, loving ADONAI your God, paying attention to what he says and clinging to him--for that is the purpose of your life!"
                                                      D'Varim (Deuteronomy) 30:19


For those around me tomorrow, to show my love and appreciation, I will be trying, Homemade Oreos, the cookie recipe from the Joy of KosherThey sound yummy!

 


   

No comments: